Electric shock injury(7200 volts)

The injured patient is a lineworker who accidentally touched a high tension line without proper equipments. Despite the horrific injury, the patient was mostly fine after treatment.

Sensitive image, click to unblur and zoom

The injury related to electric shock depends on the magnitude of the current. Very small currents may be imperceptible or produce a light tingling sensation. A shock caused by low current that would normally be harmless could startle an individual and cause injury due to suddenly jerking away from the source of electricity, resulting in one striking a stationary object, dropping an object being held or falling. Stronger currents may cause some degree of discomfort or pain, while more intense currents may induce involuntary muscle contractions, preventing the victim from breaking free of the source of electricity. Still larger currents usually result in tissue damage and may trigger fibrillation of the heart or cardiac arrest, any of which may ultimately be fatal. If death results from an electric shock the cause of death is generally referred to as electrocution.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *