Giuseppe Nisi, M.D., and Andrea Sisti, M.D.
A 48-year-old man presented to the clinic for evaluation of dysphagia and limited neck movements (flexion and rotation of the head). The patient was found to have Madelung’s disease, also known as benign symmetric lipomatosis or the Launois–Bensaude syndrome. Madelung’s disease is a rare condition that is characterized by the presence of multiple symmetric and disfiguring abnormal fat depositions in the head, neck, trunk, and nerve roots of the upper and lower limbs (Panels A and B).
Patients often have coexisting illnesses, such as hepatic-function abnormalities, polyneuropathy, diabetes, gynecomastia, hyperuricemia, and dyslipidemia. Madelung’s disease is often associated with alcohol abuse, but there is a familial form linked to matrilineal inheritance. The frequent finding of radial red fibers in the muscles of patients with Madelung’s disease suggests mitochondrial dysfunction with reduced activity of the enzyme cytochrome c oxidase. Treatment is palliative and consists mainly of removal of fatty tissue by surgical resection or liposuction and by injection lipolysis. The patient was treated surgically and had a good functional and aesthetic result at 1 year after surgery (Panel C). Partial recurrence after treatment is common, as occurred in this patient 3 years after surgery (Panel D).
- S -Z Liu, X Zhou, Y -P Wang, Y Liu, A Song. (2019) The Madelung’s disease and the buffalo hump sign. QJM: An International Journal of Medicine 374.
- Diego Casas Deza, Jesús Gotor Delso, Vanesa Bernal Monterde. (2018) Madelung’s disease in a patient with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterología y Hepatología (English Edition) 41:10, 645-647.
- Diego Casas Deza, Jesús Gotor Delso, Vanesa Bernal Monterde. (2018) Síndrome de Madelung en un paciente con hepatocarcinoma avanzado. Gastroenterología y Hepatología 41:10, 645-647.
- Divyanshoo R. Kohli, Daniel P. Luppens, Scott C. Matherly. (2018) Rare Case of Madelung’s Disease. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 16:2, e17-e18.
- Roberto López-Blanco, Ana Rojo-Sebastián, Maria Henedina Torregrosa-Martínez, Alberto Blazquez. (2017) Beyond cervical lipomas: myoclonus, gait disorder and multisystem involvement leading to mitochondrial disease. BMJ Case Reports 33, bcr-2016-218861.
- Ke Chen, Linghao Wang, Wenjun Yang, Changfa Wang, Gui Hu, Zhaohui Mo. (2017) Profiling of differentially expressed genes in adipose tissues of multiple symmetric lipomatosis. Molecular Medicine Reports 16:5, 6570-6579.
- Hermann S. Füeßl. (2017) Madelung-Krankheit: Überzogen von Fetteinlagerungen. hautnah dermatologie 33:2, 22-22.
- H. S. Füeßl. (2016) Madelung-Krankheit: Überzogen von Fetteinlagerungen. MMW – Fortschritte der Medizin 158:5, 44-44.