Spoon Retrieval from Man’s Esophagus — A Year After He Swallowed It
A man in China had a steel spoon lodged in his esophagus for a year, but surprisingly, the half-swallowed utensil didn’t cause too much discomfort.
The man — identified only as “Mr. Zhang” — swallowed the spoon on a dare in 2017, and it promptly got stuck in the narrow tube connecting his mouth and stomach, representatives at Xinjiang Meikuang General Hospital said in a statement. Months passed, but the irritation wasn’t serious enough to prompt the man to seek medical attention. That all changed last week, however, when he began experiencing chest pains and having difficulty breathing after being punched in the chest.
Three doctors performed the procedure to remove the spoon on Oct. 22. Two hours later, the spoon — which measured about 8 inches (20 centimeters) long — saw the light of day for the first time in a year, hospital officials reported.
When Zhang visited the hospital, he was holding his chest and seemed to be in a lot of pain, Dr. Yu Xiwu, director of the hospital’s Department of Otolaryngology [ear, nose and throat speciality], said in the statement. Examination revealed a metal foreign body “in the upper part of the pharynx to the esophagus,” and when doctors peered down Zhang’s throat with an endoscope (a long, thin tube with a camera attached), they spotted the mucus-coated spoon.
“I was very surprised. I have never encountered a similar patient,” Dr. Xiwu said.
Doctors determined that the object could be life-threatening unless it were removed immediately, and they extracted the spoon through Zhang’s mouth using a pair of forceps, according to hospital representatives.
Following his surgery, Zhang was resting comfortably; doctors expected him to be discharged within two days — hopefully, a little wiser after his ordeal, according to the statement.